Wear comfortable shoes – many consignment sale venues are rather big and you will be spending a lot of time on your feet – including waiting in the checkout lines while holding all of your goodies!
Bring along several large totes to carry your goodies. Thirty One Organizing Utility Totes and large reusable bags work great – or bring a laundry basket tied to a string or belt to drag along behind you for larger venues like the Just Between Friends sales.
Make a list of items you hope to purchase. List children’s sizes, including shoe sizes.
- When deciding on whether something is worth buying for the listed price, think about how much it would cost to purchase new (on sale) or use your iPhone to check online prices for similar items on Ebay, etc.
- Use the calculator on your smart phone (or bring a calculator along) to keep a tab on how much you are spending if you are planning to keep to a predetermined budget
- Some of the large sales, like the JBF sale, have a special holding area at the back of the room, where you can drop off items to be held in your name while you continue to shop
- Empty the trunk of your vehicle before coming to the sale – you never know what you may find and you want to be certain that you have plenty of room to get your deals home
- Whenever possible, shop without kids. Bringing kids along can sometimes make shopping difficult and they tend to want to migrate toward the toy section. Many sales get very crowded so it can be hard chasing after little ones if they scoot away from you. If you have an infant, you may want to carry them in a wearable infant carrier if possible. Be sure to check the website of the sales you are attending as some are not stroller friendly.
- Before heading to the sale be sure to check whether the sale is cash only or if they accept credit cards or other forms of payment. There is nothing worse then getting to the sale only to realize you did not have enough cash on hand.
- Eat before you go or bring a snack along. Dragging around all of your goodies can get very exhausting – and with larger venues, you will want to allow ample time to check out all that the sale has to offer
- For the maximum deals, be sure to check out the last day of the sales, where many items will be marked down to half price at many of the consignment sales.
Do you have any special tips that you have learned from shopping consignment sales? Please share them in the comments below!