Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Pley and may include affiliate links. All opinions are my own.
I don’t know about you, but every year I have found that when Easter rolls around rather than loading up the basket with a ton of candy, I have begun filling their baskets with more and more non-candy goodies. Rather then watch them overjoyed from a sugar high, I now see them scramble with excitement about goodies they can play with – things that keep them active, things that keep their mind busy, things they can create memories with. And guess what? They seem to enjoy it even more then the candy – so it’s been a win-win situation for the whole family! I’ll admit – I still add a few sweet treats to the basket, but for the most part I’ve been enjoying getting creative with the non-candy gifts so I thought I would take the time to share some of my favorite non-candy Easter basket ideas this year. When I ask my kids if they enjoy things other than candy in their basket, they both agreed that they certainly do! Here are some of my favorite ideas which were also given two thumbs up from my kids!
1. Instead of loading the basket with tons of sugary Peeps, add a few of these fun non candy Peeps items that can be found at 5 Below. Items include Peeps Chalkboards, Bubbles, Plush Toys and more!
2. Your little Shopkins Fans will squeal with delight when they see fun Shopkins items like Shopkins Surprise Easter Eggs, socks, card games, craft and activity sets, pens, stickers, toothbrushes and more – all $5 or less at 5 Below!
3. Star Wars is all the rage right now with little boys and girls alike! 5 Below once again has you covered with everything from light sabers to socks, pens, sport sacks, stickers, hats and more.
4. How absolutely adorable and fun are these awesome Strawberry Sponge Hair Curlers ? Buy a set or two and see how much fun your little girl will have when you set her hair in these curlers! Not to mention – how cute will these look piled in the basket? Best of all – right now they are under $2 a set with free shipping!
Photo credit: Pley
5. Surprise the kids with a gift subscription to a toy service such as Pley. Imagine their excitement when they find out that they will be having toys such as LEGOs, robotics toys, American Girl Doll accessories and more – shipped right to your door. Who doesn’t love getting mail??!! What a great way to not only keep their toys fresh and exciting but it helps to extend the joy and fun of Easter into the weeks ahead. Best of all you do not have to worry about storing them for long. The kids play with the items but when they are finished, they can pack them up and return them for new ones! How cool is that??
6. Children’s sized kids gardening tools are not only exceptionally adorable – but they are a great way to introduce the children to gardening and get them excited to get involved in helping. Tools and gear are perfectly sized for little ones – and I found entire displays of these at Target! Don’t forget a few seeds for planting!
Photo credit: Stitch Yourself Silly
7. With summer just a few short months away and bath time a favorite for many little ones, these adorable, plush full-sized Character towels from local mom-based business Stitch Yourself Silly are sure to be a big hit with kids of all ages. With everything from Shopkins and Paw Patrol to Disney favorites animals and more – these towels will be kid favorites all year long! (Psst – they make great gifts for all occassions, too – and can be personalized as well) Stitch Yourself Silly is absolutely wonderful to work with and is always willing to work with you to customize what you are looking for. Be sure to check out all of their other personalized items such as t-shirts, onsies and bibs perfect for even your littlest Easter sweetie!
8. Flip flops, bathing suits, sunglasses, hats, pool toys, boogie boards, bubbles and water squirters are all perfect basket stuffers that will get everyone in the mood for summer fun! Adding items such as jump ropes and skip toys, pinwheels, bubbles, kites, water balloons, bats, balls, Frisbees, sidewalk chalk, bug catch boxes and butterfly nets are a great way to encourage activity and getting out and enjoying some fresh air in the outdoors.
9. Stock up on discount tickets to your favorite amusement and water parks at the shore such as Morey’s Pier in Wildwood and Gillian’s Wonderland Pier in Ocean City during their spring sale. Take advantage of some deep discounts when you purchase tickets during their Easter spring sale – then pop them into the kids baskets to get them ready for vacation. While you are at it, throw in a roll of quarters which will be perfect for some arcade fun while on the boardwalk as well. HURRY! Ticket discounts are only valid for a short time in March! You will definitely thank yourself later for this one when all of your other vacation expenses are piling up!
Photo credit: Betsy Gamble, Buttons & Bows
10. Hair bows and headbands are a perfect way to add a little flair to any outfit and my dear friend and local Mom Betsy over at Buttons & Bows makes the sweetest, most adorable hair bows and accessories in town! She puts so much love and attention into handcrafting each one. There are so many adorable Easter and spring designs that will be perfect for baskets – as well as character favorites, school colors and any other custom designs you may have in mind.
11. For those with little chefs who enjoy helping in the kitchen, kid sized baking items such as child sized aprons, mini utensils, fun pastel sprinkles, cookie cutters in fun spring themes and kid cookbooks will get their imaginations going and foster even more excitement for new kitchen adventures.
12. Since we always encourage reading in our house I always choose a book or two for each of my kids baskets. There are so many fun Easter themed books this time of year – or for older kids getting a new book from a favorite series may be the way to go.
13. For older kids who love music and/or gaming, iTunes gift cards or gaming gift cards for Playstation, Xbox, Wii or Game Stop are sure to bring some smiles. Ear buds or headphones or a new gaming accessory or game are other fun ideas.
14. Kids will be sure to look forward to bedtime with a new set of soft, comfy Spring pajamas, slippers and a snuggly bunny perfect for snuggling at bedtime – and many sweet dreams to come.
15. Finally, if you like to add some plastic eggs to the basket or for your Easter egg hunt, consider stuffing them with fun non candy items such as coins, mini bottles of pastel nail polishes, tattoos, race cars, hair clips/hair bows, fun shaped erasers, lip glosses or chapsticks, socks, Lego minifigures, individual Shopkins, love notes or handmade coupons for special treats or activities.
Do you add non candy surprises to your Easter baskets? If so, which are your favorites?